German Shepherds are excellent guard dogs. They are very smart and naturally protective of their families and homes.
You have seen these canines on many television shows, and you have probably seen them tilt their head to one side in a curious gesture.
That head ti8lt has an actual purpose other than just making them more adorable. When they tile their head, they can improve their visual acuity and increase their ability to hear. When they are trying to understand something, they tile the head to see and hear better.
Let’s see what else we can learn about these creatures.
Navigate The Post
How Much Does A German Shepherd Weigh?
The average adult German Shepherd will reach 65 to 90 pounds if it is a male and 50 to 70 pounds if it is female.
German Shepherds will be between 22 and 26 inches tall and the females are shorter than the males.
They have a life expectancy of 7 to 13 years if they are properly cared for.
Male German Shepherd Growth Charts
|1 month||4-6 inches||5 lbs. – 9 lbs.|
|3 months||9 – 11 inches||22 lbs. – 30 lbs.|
|6 months||16 – 18 inches||49 lbs. – 57 lbs.|
|9 months||21 – 23 inches||64 lbs. – 71 lbs.|
|12 months||22 – 24 inches||71 lbs. – 79 lbs.|
|15 months||23- 25 inches||71 lbs. – 84 lbs.|
|3 years||24 – 26 inches||79 lbs. – 88 lbs.|
A German Shepherd does not reach full maturity until they get to be is about 18 months of age.
When the animal is 18 months of age it will have reached mental adult status but it may not reach physical size maturity until it is 2 years or more.
They are energetic as puppies and you must socialize them with other dogs and environments if you want them to be able to get along with other animals.
German Shepherd Characteristics
- They are extremely loyal
- They are active and energetic
- They are very intelligent
- They can be aggressive when they need to be
- They can tolerate cold temperatures
- They shed heavily twice each year
- They can become high-strung or mischievous if they get bored
- They have one of the strongest bites of all canines
- These animals have a tendency to get bored and lonely when they are left alone for long periods of time. When they are bored they can destroy things.
This breed does need routine and regular veterinary care.
There are some diseases that they seem to get more often than other canine breeds so.
These illnesses include:
- Bloat of the stomach. This can be deadly.
- Degenerative Myelopathy is the weakness of the hind legs
- Endocrine pancreatic insufficiency which is a degenerative disease of the pancreas
- Hip dysplasia
Did You Know?
- They make excellent herd dogs because they do this naturally.
- They can run up to 32 miles per hour for short distances
- They can maintain 20 mph for long distances
- These canines originated from Germany
- On average these animals cost $800 to buy.
- They are the second most registered breed in the American Kennel Club
- They come in a wide variety of colors
- Rin Tin Tin starred in more than 27 films. He was one of the most famous German Shepherds
- Rin Tin Tin has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame
- This breed is very popular in the military and as police k-9s
Are German Shepherd Dogs Aggressive?
These animals are highly protective and can sometimes appear to be aggressive.
Are German Shepherd Dogs Smart?
They are listed as the third smartest breed.
Do German Shepherds Like Water?
They usually love water and swimming.