One of the many coffee scales that I tested while trying to find the best coffee scale was the Hario V60 drip coffee scale and timer. I had heard a lot of good things about Hario products, and I tried my best to put aside everything I had been told about these products so that I could give an impartial review of this item.
Making pour over coffee and having each carafe of coffee you make turn out the same is almost impossible. I thought that it was almost impossible until I discovered the Hario V60 coffee scale, and now every cup of coffee I make is exactly the way that I like it.
Navigate The Post
The Hario V60
The Hario V60 is a small scale that will easily fit into kitchen drawers or cupboards when it is not in use. It measures 7.4” X 4.7” X 1.1”. It weighs less than one pound. It is powered by 2 AAA batteries.
It has an automatic shut off feature that turns the power to the scale off if the scale sits for five minutes without being used. This automatic shut off will extend the amount of life you get from your batteries.
If you set the timer on the scale the automatic shut off feature will not be engaged until after the timer is turned off. You never have to worry that during the timing the shut off will happen. When the timer is turned off then the scale will wait for five minutes, and if there is no activity within the five minute period the scale will then shut off automatically.
Spills are NOT a Problem
The Hario V60 is designed to specifically be used when you are making pour over coffee so if you spill some water you do not have to worry that the scale will be damaged. This does not mean that you can submerge the scales in water. It means that spills and everyday use are not going to damage the item.
You are going to love how easy it is to clean the Hario V60. If you take a damp cloth and wipe the scale down after use it basically stays clean with no harsh chemicals needed, and no scrubbing.
The weight capacity of the Hario V60 is:
2-200g + or –
200 – 500g + or – 0.5g
500 – 2000g + or – 1g
The scale has an automatic timer built in so you can accurately time the brewing of your coffee, or you can use the timer for other kitchen needs like timing a cake in the oven. The timer is very easy to set and comes in very handy.
Many people do not know that the variations in the length of time that they brew their coffee will change the strength of the coffee and will change the flavor of the coffee. If you are used to having a cup of java that has nutty and sweet undertones but you brew the next carafe for a few extra minutes, then the undertones may be more earthy, they may even border on musky or bitter.
When you are brewing coffee you have to have the precise ration of beans to water, and the precise temperature of water, with the precise amount of time for brewing the beans. It sounds like a lot of work but the results are perfect cups of coffee everytime.
Pros of the Hario V60 Digital Scale
- Allows you to replicate pour over coffee time and time again
- The timer allows you to brew your coffee for the perfect length of time with no flavor variations
- The scale will automatically power off if it sits without being used for five minutes. The auto off feature does not work if the timer of the scale is being used. When the timer is shut off then the scale will wait five minutes before it powers off.
- It is small and easy to store in drawers or cabinets
- It is attractive and does not take up much space on your counter if you decide to leave it out all of the time
- It has a timer so you can measure the length of time that you are brewing your coffee for precise strength duplications
- Measures in 0.1 gram increments so your ratios are precise
- Easy to recalibrate if you ever need to
- Can be shipped to anywhere in the United States
- Weighs only 14.2 ounces
- Water resistant so spills are not a problem
- You can make more than one cup of coffee at a time
Cons of the Hario V60 Digital Scale
- Cannot display a weight lighter than one gram
- Does not have a jack for an AC adapter
- Not always quick to refresh the weight display
- Does not have a beeper
- When you are multi-tasking and the automatic shut off kicks in it can be frustrating
If you are used to grinding your own coffee beans and creating masterpieces out of them each time you brew a cup of coffee then you know how beneficial the Hario V60 scale is.
If you are new to making your coffee using a precision piece of equipment to measure your ingredients, and measure the length of time that you brew your coffee then you are going to be blown away by the Hario V60.
Using this scale allows you to experiment with coffee to water ratios and then repeat the ratio that you find the most pleasing. It also prevents you from wasting a lot of coffee beans because you will make fewer ‘mistake’ pots of coffee and will have more ‘perfect’ pots of coffee.
If you are new to brewing coffee after you have weighed the beans and weighed the water then you may have felt intimidated because the process sounds involved and possibly difficult to do. When you use the Hario V60 you will see that making the perfect cup of coffee is actually easy to do and fun.