Basketball is an exciting sport that is loved by millions of people around the world. We all know a little something about the game and equipment.
I have learned from experience that there is always something more I can remember. Such as the weight and proper circumference of a basketball depends on who is using the ball and whether they are practicing or playing in a competitive game.
Let’s see what other facts we can learn about this game and its equipment.
How Much Does A Basketball Weigh?
The standard basketball used in men’s professional games weighs 22 ounces. That converts to 1.3 to 1.5 pounds. The traditional ball used by men in competitive games is a size 7.
The weight of these balls depends on the materials they are constructed from and the intended purpose of the ball. Youth balls are lighter and smaller than standard men’s balls.
A basketball meant to be used by youth under the age of ten years will be a size 5. It should weigh no more than 1.25 pounds and have a circumference no more significant than 27.5 inches.
A youth ball being used by someone who is less than ten years of age is the typical size 4. These balls have a circumference of 25.5 inches, and their weight is no more than 0.87 pounds.
Children who are eight years old and younger play with a mini basketball. This is a size three-ball.
The circumference of these balls measures between 22 inches and 22.5 inches. The weight of the size three units is no less than 10.5 ounces and no more than 11.25 ounces.
Women’s basketballs are slightly different in size from the standard men’s balls. The traditional ball used by women is a size 6.
The balls that women play with can be one of two sizes. They may use a 1.25-pound ball with a 29-inch diameter or a slightly smaller unit that weighs 1.25 pounds but has a diameter of only 28 inches.
The Original Ball
When James Naismith invented the game of basketball, he did not have a specific ball for the play. Instead, he used a soccer ball, and for a net, he fashioned a peach basket or string basket to a pole for players to throw the ball into.
The original balls had a circumference about the same size as a typical basketball. These original pieces of equipment weigh between 14 ounces and 16 ounces.
So as time went by and traditional equipment was created for the game’s play, the balls got a little heavier, and the rims they were shot into got a little smaller.
Did You know?
- When the game was first invented, there was no dribbling and running up the court. The player who caught the ball had to shoot from where they were standing when the ball got into their hands. In 1897 the team from Yale advanced the ball by dribbling, and after that, the players were allowed to dribble once per possession.
- When the game was first invented as a winter activity, it was divided into two halve, and each half had a duration of 15 minutes. There was a five-minute rest period between the two halves of the game.
- The highest scoring basketball game on record had an ending score of 186 – 184. It was played in December of 1983 by the Detroit Pistons and the Denver Nuggets.
- The longest recorded basketball game lasted 78 minutes and was played by the Indianapolis Olympians and the Rochester Royals in January 1951.
- Basketball players are tall, but the tallest player on record measured 8.o5 feet. He was Suleiman Ali Nashnush. He played for the Libyan team in 1962. The tallest basketball player who has played for the NBA measured 7 feet and 7 inches. He was Manute Bol. He played for the Washington Bullets in 1985 and joined the Miami Heat in 1994.
- The shortest basketball player was Tyron Curtis, better known as Muggsy Bogues. He stood only 5 feet and 3 inches.
- Professional basketball was greatly affected by the Great depression.
- The Harlem Globetrotters have never been a part of the NBA. They are an entertainment team and have played over 20,000 games in more than 120 countries.
- Before 1903, the courts the game was played on were not straight and uniform in measurement. Players encountered obstacles like stairways and pillars, and sometimes an office would be on the court.
How Far Off The Ground Is The Rim Of A Basketball Backboard?
The rim is 10 feet off the ground for anyone in the 6th grade or older.
How Big Is The Rim Of A Basketball Net?
The rim measures 18 inches in diameter.
What Are Basketballs Made From?
The inside portion of the ball is made of a rubber bladder. The outer covering can be leather or composite material.