Eggs are amazing things. We eat chicken eggs all of the time and we know they are sold in small. Medium and large sizes, but do you know how much an egg weighs?
We are going to take a little time and examine some of the common eggs and try to see what they weigh and what other interesting facts we can figure out about these oval novelties.
Navigate The Post
- 1 How Much Does an Egg Weigh?
- 2 Did You know?
- 3 FAQS
How Much Does an Egg Weigh?
A chicken egg is categorized as small, medium, large, and x-large. Each different size has a different typical weight.
- Small eggs weigh about 1.5 ounces or 42.5 grams.
- Medium eggs weigh about 1.75 ounces or 49.6 grams.
- Large eggs weigh about 2 ounces or 56.7 grams.
- Extra large eggs weigh about 2.25 ounces or 63.8 grams.
- Jumbo eggs weigh about 2.5 ounces or 70.9 grams.
How Much do Duck Eggs Weigh?
Duck eggs are extremely rich, and many bakery chefs prefer them over chicken eggs for custards, cakes, and more.
Like chicken eggs, duck eggs come in a wide range of sizes and weights.
- The smallest duck egg is the pee wee variety. A peewee typically weighs 1.10 ounces.
- Small duck eggs the size of typical small chicken eggs weigh about 1.55 ounces.
- Medium duck eggs weigh about 1.70 ounces.
- Large duck eggs weigh about 2 ounces. Most cooking recipes call for the large egg so if you are using smaller eggs you will need to increase the number of eggs you use.
- Extra large duck eggs weigh about 2.3 ounces.
- Jumbo duck eggs weigh about 2.5 ounces.
There are times when you will get a duck egg that weighs close to 4 ounces.
How Much do Sea Turtle Eggs Weigh
Most people would never dream of eating a sea turtle egg. Many species of sea turtles are actually protected because their numbers have decreased so drastically over the last several years.
- Loggerhead sea turtle eggs weigh about 1.26 ounces or 36 grams each.
- Hawksbill sea turtle eggs weigh about 0.98 ounces or 28 grams.
- Leatherback sea turtle eggs weigh about 3.17 ounces or 90 grams.
How much do Ostrich Eggs Weigh?
The average ostrich egg weighs about 3 pounds. It may as large as a man’s hand. Most ostrich nests will have as many as 30 – 40 eggs in them at one time, but the ostrich can only sit on 20 of those eggs. The extra eggs are often pushed out of the nest.
How much do Bald Eagle Eggs Weigh?
The average egg of a bald eagle weighs between 4 and 4.6 ounces or 108 to 131 grams.
Did You know?
- If the egg is really fresh the white of the egg will be cloudy in appearance.
- The word yolk means yellow.
- The fresher the egg is the harder it is to peel after it is boiled.
- Egg yolks contain vitamin D.
- The average American eats 250 eggs per year.
- Eggs in the supermarket are unfertilized.
- When a hen lays an egg a new one starts to develop within 30 minutes. It takes her 24 to 26 hours to develop the new egg.
- The diet of the hen determines the color of her egg yolks.
- White eggs are the most popular amongst egg producers.
- White Leghorns are the most popular breed of egg producers in commercial markets.
- Some breeds of chicken lay eggs every day but other breeds may lay every other day or only twice a week.
- Chickens lay more eggs than ducks or other foul and they take up less nesting room space and that is why their eggs are preferred.
- The biggest egg-producing state in the United States is Iowa.
- The size of the hen you have will not determine the size of the egg she will lay.
- Eggs will stay good for weeks before they spoil.
- You can pasteurize an egg to kill the bacteria. You put it in water over low heat and bring the water temperature up to 140 degrees F for 3 and one-half minutes., This temperature will kill the bacteria without cooking the egg. Remove immediately and place in cold water.
- When you pick up fresh eggs you can place them in a container of water to see if they are good. If the egg floats it is no longer good. The eggs that tip up on their ends are the oldest and should be used first.
How much protein is in an egg?
There are about 6 grams of protein in an egg.
Does cooking an egg reduce the protein in it?
There is more protein in a cooked egg than in a raw egg.
Do you have to refrigerate eggs?
No. You do not have to refrigerate eggs.