A Chihuahua is a small breed dog with a lot of spirit and spunk. They make up for their small stature with huge personalities.
Although they are all small the various Chihuahuas can look very different. They have different colorations and different hair lengths.
You can even find one Chihuahua that has a big head like a bobble-headed doll.
Stay with me a few minutes and let us take a closer look at this beloved house dog.
Navigate The Post
- 1 How Much Does A Chihuahua Weigh
- 2 Benefits of Having a Chihuahua As A Pet
- 3 Other Great Features of This Breed Include:
- 4 Some Chihuahua Traits You May Not Like as Much
- 5 Some of Their Less Than Desirable Traits Include:
- 6 Celebrities Who Have Chihuahuas
- 7 Did You Know?
- 8 Related Questions And Answers
How Much Does A Chihuahua Weigh
At birth, a Chihuahua weighs between 2.5 ounces and 5.5 ounces. They are very small.
By the time the puppies reach 3 months of age they weigh between 15 ounces and 45 ounces.
By the time they reach their adult size a full-grown Chihuahua weighs between 2 pounds and 7 pounds if they are female. The males will weigh between 3 and 8 pounds.
Males of this breed of dog always weigh a little more and stand a little taller than the females do.
Benefits of Having a Chihuahua As A Pet
These small and feisty creatures make very loving pets. They are also well suited to living in small environments, so people with apartments love them.
Other Great Features of This Breed Include:
- They tolerate being alone well so if you have to work your puppy will be okay
- They are affectionate and they usually like children and adults
- They are easy to groom
- They are smart and easy to train
- They are usually playful and energetic
- They rarely drool
- They are small and stay small
- They have very few exercise needs
- They are extremely loyal.
Some Chihuahua Traits You May Not Like as Much
Have you ever heard the saying “if a tree falls in the woods 100 miles away, the Chihuahua will be barking?” These little guys are vocal and they bark at everything., Of course, if you were smaller than many city rats wouldn’t you be a little nervous?
Some of Their Less Than Desirable Traits Include:
- They tend to get overweight easily so you have to watch their diet closely.
- They do not tolerate temperature change very well. In the winter you can dress them in adorable outfits to help them stay warm.
- They do not always get along with other dogs.
- They usually do not care for strangers. This can be a good thing if you worry about your puppy being stolen.
- They like to howl
- They tend to shiver and shake no matter what the temperature is outside.
Celebrities Who Have Chihuahuas
- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Marilynn Monroe
- Alyssa Milano
- Rosie O’Donnell
- Mickey Rourke
- Reese Witherspoon
- George Lopez
- Kimberly Stewart
- Sharon Osbourne
- Britney Spears
- Anne Heche
- Paula Abdul
- Jamie Lee Curtis
Did You Know?
- The Chihuahua is a descendant of the Mexican Techichi?
- When they are pups they have a soft spot on their head as a human baby does.
- They can have an apple-shaped head or a narrow head with a long snout.
- These dogs can be born with floppy ears.
- The Taco Bell Chihuahua was a female?
- The hair on the head of a long-haired Chihuahua is called a plume? Their leg hair is called furnishings and the hair that droops from their ears is known as their fringe.
- They have an average heart rate of 100 to 140 beats per minute.
Related Questions And Answers
Can a Chihuahua Weigh 16 Pounds?
The average Chihuahua should weigh no more than 7 pounds.
When Does A Chihuahua Reach Adult Size?
By the time a Chihuahua is 10 months of age, it is usually full grown.
How Long Does A Chihuahua Live?
The average life expectancy is between 12 and 20 years.