Skiing is a very good physical activity. It offers you fresh air and plenty of aerobic exercises. This is true of water and snow skiing.
If you are not an expert in either type of skiing you may have a lot of questions about the equipment and what you need.
Sometimes I like to learn as much as I can about an activity before I go try it so I will not look like a total newbie.
Navigate The Post
How Much Do Skis Weigh?
When it comes to the weight of skis you are talking about snow skis. The average set of skis will weigh between 10 and 15 pounds.
That is the weight of just the ski without the bindings. After you add on all of the bindings and such, the skis will weigh between 15 and 20 pounds.
When you are going to be snow skiing you are going to need some equipment other than just the skis.
Ski poles are needed for this activity. You will find that the average weight of the poles is about one-half of a pound.
Poles can be heavier depending on what materials they are fashioned from but you rarely find them any lighter than one-half of a pound.
The bindings are the portion of the ski that you put your foot into. They hold your ski boot snugly so the skis stay on.
The bindings weigh about 8 to 13 pounds. Lighter bindings are preferred by people who are engaging in cross country skiing.
Cross country skiing does not have as many hills for the skier to glide down. That means less gravity is involved and the skier has to rely on the strength of their calves and ankles more. The lighter skis make it easier to cross country without getting as tired.
How Much Do Snowboards Weigh?
Snowboarding is another great sports activity that gets you outside in the fresh air and doing plenty of exercises.
Your average snowboard weighs between 9 and 15 pounds.
Snowboarding requires a special kind of footwear., The boots you will use when you are snowboarding are going to weigh about 2.5 pounds. You can find some a little lighter or slightly heavier but 2.5 pounds is the most common snowboarding boot weight.
Waterski’s weight does not matter. In this activity, you stand on top of the board and let the board float on top of the water.
What you consider when shopping for water skis is your weight and the length of the skis you buy.
- 100 pounds and under should have skis that are 59” to 63”
- 95 pounds to 125 pounds requires skis that are 62” t0 64”
- 115 to 140 pounds requires skis that are 64” to 66”
- 135 to 160 pounds need skis that are 66” to 67”
- 150 to 180 pounds need skis that are 67” to 68”
- 170 to 200 pounds needs skis that are 68” to 72”
- 190 and up should have the 72” skis
Did You Know?
- Skiing was once a way to get around and not just a fun sport
- Before the 19th century women were encouraged to ice skate, not ski because skiing was thought to be a man’s activity
- Skiing downhill burns 350 to 400 calories per hour
- Skiing can be very dangerous. When skiing downhill you reach speeds that are fast enough to interfere with your ability to control your movements
Related Questions & Answers
What Weight Should My Water Skis Be?
When buying water skis shop for the right length instead of the right weight. Adults who weigh between 80 and 150 pounds need skis that are about 64 inches long.
Will The Weight Of My Water Skis Matter?
The weight of the water ski is kept beneath your body so it does not matter.
Can You Buy Just One Ski?
You can buy a single ski.