The Eiffel tower was the main exhibit of the 1889 Paris Exposition. The Paris Exposition is like a World’s Fair.
The tower was constructed to commemorate the centennial of the French Revolution.
It also demonstrated the industrial prowess that France had at that time.
People did not automatically fall in love with the structure. Many people declared it to be the ugliest building in France for a long time.
Over time the unique attributes of the tower stood out, and the structure started to symbolize Paris.
How Much Does The Eiffel Tower Weigh?
The entire Eiffel tower weighs about 10,100 tons. In pounds, the building weighs 22.300,000 pounds.
The metal frame of the Eiffel tower weighs 7,300 tons.
Gustave Eiffel decided to build the tower from latticed wrought iron. His goal was to prove that the wrought iron was as strong as stone, even though it was a lot lighter than stone.
How Tall is The Structure?
The entire structure is 1,063 feet tall. The first platform of the building is 190 feet above ground level.
The second platform is 376 feet above ground level.
The third platform is 900 feet above ground level.
There are two elevators in the structure and a total of 1,710 steps and 108 stories.
Visitors to the tower are only allowed to climb the stairs to the first platform. From that point, they are required to ride in one of the two elevators.
Did You know?
- The tower has five billion lights on it.
- The tower is nicknamed the Iron Lady
- The tower grows as much as 7 inches in height when the sun heats the metal up.
- When the tower was erected it was meant to be a temporary structure. Initially, the framework of the building was only supposed to be left up for 20 years.
- More than 7 million people visit the tower each year
- Since the opening there have been about 250 million visitors
- There are two restaurants a banquet hall and several buffets scattered amongst the three platforms.
- The tower is open to visitors every day of the year.
- The tower is not the tallest structure in France? The tallest is the Viaduct of Millau.
- The fireworks display from the tower is astonishing
- Every seven years 50 tons of paint is applied to help protect the structure from rust and corrosion
- There are 18,038 metal pieces making up the framework of the tower. Those pieces are held in place with 2.5 million rivets.
- It is the most visit monument in the world that you have to pay to see
How Much Did The Eiffel Tower Cost?
The total cost of the tower was about 1.5 million dollars.
How Tall is The Eiffel Tower?
The tower is 1,063 feet tall. This includes the antenna on top of the structure.
Is The Eiffel Tower Made of Teel?
No. The Eiffel tower is made from puddle iron produced in the Pompey forges located East of France.